Dealing with a Broken Spirit
- 1 Kings 19:1 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:2 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:3 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:4 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:5 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:6 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:7 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:8 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:9 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:10 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:11 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:12 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:13 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:14 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:15 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:16 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:17 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:18 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:19 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:20 (KJV)
- 1 Kings 19:21 (KJV)
Tom Messer, Trinity Baptist Church
Everything God does is so we can know Him better, even the trials.
- Mount Horeb is Mount Sinai, a significant location in Israel's history where God made Himself known.
- Elijah is not suicidal in this story, but crushed in his spirit.
We must find healing for a broken spirit.
1. The Cause of a Broken Spirit
- Elijah surely thought revival would come following the events with the prophets of Baal, but it didn't happen.
A. It comes from disappointment of life.
B. We put God in a box, setting ourselves up for disappointment.
2. The Complexity of a Broken Spirit
God's dealing with Elijah here reveal that we can't have simplistic solutions in handling life's complex problems. It's not just a trite answer or medication. Each circumstance needs to be handled on its own.
A. God deals with us on a relational level. Notice that the angel touched Elijah. God is there; He's present.
B. God deals with us on a physical level. God provided true "Angel Food Cake" got Ellijah to meet the physical necessities.
C. God deals with us on an emotional level. He listened to Elijah, & He's concerned for us.
D. God deals with us on an emotional level. He was there in a still small voice.
3. The Cure for a Broken Spirit
- Knowing God more fully, as you let Him function outside of your proverbial box. God deals with us differently, based on our needs.
A. Through the Word of God.
- the still small voice was present.
B. Through the Word of Grace.
- protection in the midst of the destruction God brought in the mountain.
God's at work in ways you never heard of or can imagine. Let Him be God.
Created over 1 year ago