Privacy & Terms 2012
Last revised on 7/16/2012
YouVersion, a Website and Application owned and operated by Life.Church, knows you care how information about you is used and shared. We hope the following statements will help you understand how YouVersion will collect, use and protect the information you provide to us on our site or app.
What we collect and how we use it
Information you provide
When you sign up for a YouVersion account, or another Life.Church service or promotion that requires registration, we ask you for personal information (such as your name, email address and an account password). We may combine the information you submit under your account, with information from other Life.Church services or third parties to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our services. For certain services, we may allow you to opt out of combining such information.
Unique Device ID and GPS location
When you access the YouVersion Bible Application, we may collect your Unique Device ID (‘UDID’) and/or IP address and/or GPS location. We use this information to provide a tailored experience for you. The information is collected in order to determine the aggregate number of unique devices using our service or parts of our service, to track total usage, analyze data, and communicate with you more effectively. We may combine this information with information from third parties to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our service. We do not share any personally identifiable information with third parties in association with your UDID or GPS location without your explicit permission.
When you visit www.bible.com, we may send one or more cookies to your computer, so that we may uniquely identify your browser. (A cookie is simply a tiny text file containing a string of characters.) Accepting our cookies allows you to keep your user preferences from session to session. Although most browsers accept cookies by default, you can set your browser to refuse all cookies, or to tell you when you’re being sent a cookie. Some YouVersion features and services may not function properly if you have cookies disabled.
When you use YouVersion, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends when you visit one of our websites. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
Personal information or requests that you submit via www.bible.com/live will be sent to the group administrator. The group administrator and/or one of their members will have access to this information. When you send email or other communication to any Life.Church owned website, we may retain those communications to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
Third party sites
How do we use your information?
When you sign up for a particular service that requires registration, we ask you to provide personal information. If Life.Church would like to use this information in a manner different than the purpose for which it was collected, then we will ask for your consent prior to such use. You may decline to submit personal information to any of our services, in which case we may not be able to provide those services to you.
How do we protect your information?
Life.Church reviews our data collection, storage and processing practices to ensure that we only collect, store and process the personal information needed to provide or improve our services. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we process is accurate, complete, and current, but we depend on our users to update or correct their personal information whenever necessary.
Accessing and updating personal information
When you use any Life.Church service, we make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information and either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate service purposes. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes), or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case where we provide information access and correction, we perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort. Some of our services have different procedures to access, correct or delete users’ personal information.
Last revised on 6/5/2012
1. Acceptance of Terms
2. Description of Service
3. Your Registration Obligations
You acknowledge and agree to:
- provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by YouVersion’s registration form(s) (the ‘Registration Data’) and
- maintain and promptly update the Registration Data to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. If Life.Church suspects that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, Life.Church has the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of YouVersion (or any portion thereof). Life.Church is concerned about the safety and privacy of all its users, particularly children. For this reason, parents of children under the age of 13 who allow their children to access YouVersion must acknowledge that YouVersion is designed to appeal to a broad audience. Accordingly, as your child’s legal guardian, it is your responsibility to determine whether YouVersion is appropriate for your child.
5. Member Account, Password and Security
Upon completing YouVersion’s registration process, you will receive a password and account designation. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the password and account, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password or account. You agree to:
- immediately notify Life.Church of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security, and
- ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session.
6. Member Conduct
You understand that all information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, tags, blog or forum postings, or other materials (‘Content’), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such Content originated. This means that you are entirely responsible for all Content that you upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available via YouVersion. Although Life.Church does monitor Content submitted to YouVersion, Life.Church cannot reasonably guarantee the accuracy, integrity, quality, or suitability of such Content. You understand and agree that by using YouVersion, you may be exposed to Content that is offensive, indecent or objectionable. You agree to not use YouVersion to:
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, discriminatory, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- harm minors in any way;
- impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, a Life.Church official, forum leader, guide or host, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any Content transmitted through YouVersion;
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights (‘Rights’) of any party;
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, ‘junk mail,’ ‘spam,’ ‘chain letters,’ ‘pyramid schemes,’ or any other form of solicitation
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- disrupt the normal flow of dialogue, or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users’ ability to engage in real-time exchanges;
- interfere with or disrupt YouVersion or servers or networks connected to YouVersion, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to YouVersion;
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law;;
- provide material support or resources (or to conceal or disguise the nature, location, source, or ownership of material support or resources) to any organization(s) designated by the United States government as a foreign terrorist organization pursuant to section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act;
- ‘stalk’ or otherwise harass another; and/or
- collect or store personal data about other users in connection with the prohibited conduct and activities set forth above.
Life.Church provides YouVersion for uncompensated, personal, and intangible spiritual and/or religious benefit. You acknowledge that Life.Church may or may not pre-screen Content, but that Life.Church and its designees shall have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse, or remove any Content that is available via YouVersion, for any reason.
You acknowledge, consent and agree that Life.Church may access, preserve and disclose your account information and Content if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to:
- comply with legal process;
- respond to claims that any Content violates the rights of third parties;
- respond to your requests for customer service; or
- protect the rights, property or personal safety of Life.Church, its users and the public.
You understand that the technical processing and transmission of YouVersion, including your Content, may involve
- transmissions over various networks; and
- changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
7. Global Nature of Communications
8. Content Submitted or Made Available for Inclusion on the Service
Life.Church does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for inclusion on YouVersion. However, with respect to Content you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of YouVersion, you grant Life.Church the following worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive license(s), as applicable:
- With respect to Content you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of YouVersion, the license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform, publicly display and make derivative works of such Content for the purposes of providing and promoting the specific YouVersion area to which such Content was submitted or made available. This license exists only for as long as you elect to continue to include such Content on YouVersion and will terminate at the time you remove or Life.Church removes such Content from YouVersion.
- With respect to Content other than photographs, graphics, audio or video you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of YouVersion, the perpetual, irrevocable and fully sub-licensable license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform, publicly display and make derivative works of such Content (in whole or in part) and to incorporate such Content into other works in any format or medium now known or later developed.
- ‘Publicly accessible.’ ‘Publicly accessible’ areas of YouVersion are those areas that are intended to be available to the general public. Publicly accessible areas of YouVersion would include, but are not limited to, message boards, blog comments, community areas, and forums that are open to both members and visitors.
9. Contributions to YouVersion
By submitting ideas, suggestions, documents, and/or proposals (‘Contributions’) to YouVersion, you acknowledge and agree that:
- your Contributions do not contain confidential or proprietary information;
- Life.Church is not under any obligation of confidentiality, express or implied, with respect to the Contributions;
- Life.Church shall be entitled to use or disclose (or choose not to use or disclose) such Contributions for any purpose, in any way, in any media worldwide;
- Life.Church may have something similar to the Contributions already under consideration or in development;
- your Contributions automatically become the property of Life.Church without any obligation of Life.Church to you; and
- you are not entitled to any compensation or reimbursement of any kind from Life.Church under any circumstances.
10. Indemnity and Release of Liability
- YouVersion will meet your requirements;
- YouVersion will be uninterrupted, timely, secure or error-free; and
- the results that may be obtained from the use of YouVersion will be accurate or reliable. Under no circumstances will Life.Church be liable in any way for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any Content made available via YouVersion.
You expressly understand and agree that any material downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of YouVersion is accessed at your own discretion and risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of any such material.
11. No Resale of Service
12. General Practices Regarding Use and Storage
13. Modifications to Service
15. Dealings with Third Parties
17. Proprietary Rights
18. Limitation of Liability
You expressly understand and agree that Life.Church and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, employees, agents, partners and licensors shall not be liable to you for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including, but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses (even if Life.Church has been advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from:
- the use or the inability to use YouVersion;
- unauthorized access to or alteration of your transmissions or data;
- statements or conduct of any third party on YouVersion; or
- any other matter relating to YouVersion.
19. No Third-Party Beneficiaries
21. Trademark Information
22. Notice and Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright or Intellectual Property Infringement
Life.Church respects the intellectual property of others. We ask our users to do the same, particularly where it pertains to using YouVersion. Life.Church may, in appropriate circumstances and at its sole discretion, disable and/or terminate the accounts of users who may be repeat infringers. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, or your intellectual property rights have been otherwise violated, please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright or other intellectual property interest in question;
- A written description of the copyrighted work or other intellectual property that you claim has been infringed;
- A written description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on YouVersion;
- Your address, telephone number, and email address (all that apply);
- A written statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- A written statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your Notice is accurate and that you are the copyright or intellectual property owner, or that you are authorized to act on the behalf of the copyright or intellectual property owner. Life.Church’s Agent for Notice of claims of copyright or other intellectual property infringement can be reached as follows:
By mail: Life.Church c/o – Contracts Coordinator
4600 E. 2nd Street Edmond, OK 73034
No Right of Survivorship and Non-Transferability. You agree that your Life.Church account is non-transferable, and any rights to your Life.Church ID or contents within your account terminate upon your death. Upon receipt of a copy of a death certificate, Life.Church may terminate your account and permanently delete all contents therein.