Site Reliability Engineer
God has placed you on the earth for a reason, at this crucial moment in time. He’s given you a purpose. With the smartest tech at our fingertips and more distractions vying for our attention than ever before, the need for the Bible has never been greater. If you’re looking for a place you can combine the skills God has given you with your passion to see people engage with His Word in new ways—no matter where they are or what languages they speak—the YouVersion Team is the place to start. Come change the world with us!
With almost 350 million installs of the Bible App, we maintain a very busy infrastructure using a mix of the latest and tried-and-true technologies. During peak usage, our infrastructure handles over 30,000 requests per second, so performance optimization and stability is extremely important to us. The YouVersion Team is looking to add another Site Reliability Engineer to our Core Infrastructure group who will help us continue to grow rapidly and release new features while maintaining our stability and performance. Keep reading to see if you might be a perfect fit to join our team.
- An expert in at least three of the following technologies/skillsets: Kubernetes, Service Meshes (Istio), Infrastructure as Code (Terraform), Linux, SaltStack or equivalent, PostgreSQL, Redis, Couchbase, Solr, CI/CD Pipelines, High-Availabilty design, Service Discovery, and Prometheus
- Well-versed in the protocols that make the internet work (things like TCP, UDP, DNS, etc.)
- Able to work fast and reliably under pressure
- A strong critical thinker who identifies problems that need improvement and is driven to work together with teams to implement new solutions
- Apply software engineering principles to fix operational problems
- Be responsible for availability, latency, performance, efficiency, security best-practices, change/configuration management, monitoring, emergency response, disaster recovery, capacity planning, and tooling/automation of our infrastructure and deployment workflows
You’ll thrive here if you:
- Have a strong desire to serve Christ and be an integral part of helping others engage in God’s Word
- Are highly detail-oriented and excel at spotting patterns and solving problems
- Understand risk management and possess situational awareness to gauge when it’s appropriate to slow down and plan meticulously versus when it’s better to move fast and improve things along the way
The cherry on top:
- You’re a proponent of open-source technologies and love contributing to the communities that help us succeed through our Open Digerati Initiative
- Brewing your morning coffee requires at least seven different apparatuses, none of which are a coffeemaker